Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's business time!

So for the past few weeks life has been going at supersonic speed. Half of our team has left (so sad) and yet we're still just as busy (if not busier) than ever.

One of the projects I've recently hopped on with is the women's group. There is a group of women at church who through some reason or another, are in need of employment that they can do part time. They have formed a group together and have decided to start a business.


Preparing stuff in the kitchen

Their first thing that they are going to do is cook and sell pickles.

And no I don't mean these kinds of pickles:


I mean THESE:


Look at how yummy they are!

Brinjal


Ladyfingers


Capsicum


Drumsticks

The women made brinjal (eggplant), ladyfingers (okra), capsicum (green bell peppers), and drumsticks (it's only here in India that I know of....), for veggie pickle. They also made a chicken pickle but I haven't seen it yet.

So the way you eat pickles here is you only have a little bit on your plate to help add flavor to whatever your eating/spice up your food. They are all delicious and the women are super friendly and fun to be around.


Laughing and shelling garlic for the chicken pickles

The group they have decided to come up with is called W.E.E., Women Empowered through Employment. It's fun to be able to help them with basic business practices and to get them started on their way.

Today I have been working on a design for their logo and I have a preliminary design. We'll see what they decide on and I'll post about it later.

Either way, this has been a great opportunity and a fun way to realize how much I've learned through my education simple business activities and ventures. I hope the women do well, their cooking is AMAZING.

0 comments:

Post a Comment